7.10.2014

drinking sumac

no not the poisonous kind, rather staghorn sumac, found around here and in ripe profusion currently. you can dry the sumac horns and grind them to make a spice, you can press the seeds to make an oil for use in oil lamps or you can put 4 or 5 horns in a big jar of water and let it steep in the sun for several hours. this is what the native americans used to do. it tastes rather a bit like lemonade and has some helpful benefits to your inner workings as well.


3 comments:

eng. mero said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jake said...

I had no idea there was such a thing as poisonous Sumac in the first place! Around here it's just a spice...

todd said...

there is yes. it looks very different from the edible kind